Saturday, June 9, 2007

My Own Two Feet


Yesterday was a momentous day in the Smith house. No, I'm not referring to Parker stripping all his clothes off in the middle of the afternoon only to pee in the middle of the living room rug. I'm not even referring to Spencer finishing up his last of the 60+ pages worth of writing he had due this week, even more if you count however many pages he lost on his computer and had to retype. Although those were both important and noteable occasions, I am referring to my other Smith boy. Reid got his first prosthetic leg yesterday. I've been looking forward to this since his amputation almost three months ago. I've been so anxious, yet, now that he has it, it's a strange new world of which I know nothing about. I expected only to be excited and as I watch him try to manuever his plastic leg around, I am quite taken back. It's been a lot harder for me to watch him with a prosthetic than with a stump. I'm sure he'll be a prosthetic pro very quickly, as will I. I don't imagine it will take long before I stop noticing that his leg is plastic. It certainly didn't take long before I stopped noticing that he was missing a foot. And even though I didn't expect this to be tough, the excitement is still there. It is amazing how quickly children adapt. I suspect he'll be up and walking in no time.


3 comments:

jeanine said...

Yea! I'm so glad that he got his leg! It's got to be a relief. I can't get over how CUTE he is.

Autumn said...

Katie, this is so exciting!! He looked so natural in church yesterday I forgot it was a prosthetic. I love this picture!

Judds said...

I am very excited for this event. I hope that all goes well. He is so stink'in cute!