Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Great Gatsby!

"Can't repeat the past?... Why of course you can!"
- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Did I mention I threw myself a 30th birthday bash? 
It started with an invitation inviting all to celebrate the last weekend in my 'Roaring 20's.'

I have to say I was a little disappointed in the turn out.  I blame myself.  I should have known that most of my friends wouldn't buy in to a costume party.  But it's not like I would have kicked them out for showing up sans costume.  

Plus, it was Labor Day weekend.

All the more reason to thank my friends who did come to humor me...with or without costume.  Thanks friends.  It was a great night!

The Hosts
(I should really include these two as hosts, too.  It was at their house.  They braved the sweltering heat to help set up. And Autumn was full of great ideas.  Thanks you two.)

The Friends

The Family

The Food

The Girls

 The Men
(I love the progression of these pictures)

The Details

The Dancing

The Kids

The Croquet

The Movie
(Singing in the Rain with popcorn and sparklers)

I've been wanting an excuse to throw a 20's party for years.  
This was the perfect night for it (aside from the crazy humidity that day.)
Thanks again to my friends who made the night for me.

15 comments:

Kris said...

How fun Katie! What a fantastic idea!! LOVE this. But...I wanted to see those pictures closer to see more details!!!!

Unknown said...

Katie!!! If only I lived near you I could be your costume-party-friend. I too have thrown many costume parties with a low turn-out, but one of these days I'll convince other people of how fun it is to get dressed up.

Despite what you might have thought about the bash I think it looks absolutely smashing! ( tried to sound like a person from the 20s) I love your outfit and the food set-up looks like it came out of a magazine.

Unknown said...

This is MJ by the way. Sissy is my boss. Woops.

Kelly said...

So sorry I missed out on the fun! I am glad it was a great time- and I LOVE the pics!! Just so you know about me- I am not a dresser- upper- but love that you are!! My hero!
Happy 30th, again!!

Roni said...

I love this! Happy birthday again! I decided I'm throwing myself a party for my 30th next year!

Lauri said...

You never cease to amaze me! I love these pictures. the party looks fabulous...every bit of it!!!!!

Traci Elizabeth said...

FABULOUS. looks like a great time. your family is adorable and your friends are too!

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

These pictures make me even more sad that I wrote the wrong day on the calendar down. :(

I'm glad you had a super happy birthday!

Your party looks awesome-sauce. Fo-shizzle.

Clan Whipple said...

It looks like it was a good moustache day.

jeanine said...

I wish I lived near... I would have loved to come! (Although I can't promise that I would have dressed up!) Such a fun idea!

Jennifer Edling said...

What a fun party!! I've loved the idea of a Roaring 20's party for years, but have never come up with an excuse for one. Love the costumes, decoration...outdoor movie? Great ideas!

Carrie said...

I'm just going to reiterate my deep belief that you need to start a business in the party world. Like yesterday. And tell Spencer nest time he should dress up as a chinese laundry man. Po hee.
You, by the way, look adorable. Love the beauty spot!

Tammy said...

KATIE!!!!! I LOVE YOUR 20s PARTY!!!!!! Truly! Why are you so creative?!? And I wish that Carrie and I could have worked out our dreams to fly out there and attend the event! We would have DEFINITELY dressed up. I love all the pics. It looks so professional. Nice one. And welcome to the 30s!

Autumn said...

It was so much fun!! I was disappointed in the turn out too, I know anyone who went would have had fun. Sidenote, Scott Kelson came up to me and sounded totally bummed they didn't get the invitation. I guess she doesn't use the email that the invite went to. I'm sure you've heard that by now from them...

I absolutely love the photos of Jake and Spencer, and the progression of them. And the one of you of course I'm nuts about.

Olivia Durelle said...

This looks like the coolest party ever