I've been raising young boys for nearly five years now and today I experienced a first. Quite frankly, I'm surprised I've lasted this long without such a mishap.
Reid got something stuck up his nose. If I was going to guess which kid would be the first to do this, I could have guessed it would be Reid. It's not the first time he's got something stuck where it shouldn't be. (You can read about the straight pin that had to be surgically removed from the inside of his throat here.)
We were making mac and cheese for lunch and Reid likes to dump the uncooked noodles into the water for me. He spilled a couple. And while I turned to put the pot on the stove, he decided an uncooked noodle up the nose sounded like a thrill.
It was stuck high enough that I couldn't see it. And he couldn't blow it out since there was a hole in the middle and the air went right through. But thanks to his cold and consequently a runny nose and a few good sneezes, it finally dropped low enough that I could see it when he tilted his head back. After a few tears and a slick manuever with a pair of tweezers I finally rescued that (now soggy) noodle.
Luckily I made it out of that one without a trip to the doctor. After a good amount of time with no sign of the noodle and cries of pain from Reid, I was sure the trip was inevitable.
What a rascal!