Thursday, January 8, 2009

Boy Toy

So does anyone have any great ideas for a birthday gift for a three year old boy? Reid is turning three in a couple weeks and we've yet to get him anything. It's not like our house is overflowing with toys and he has everything. Quite the opposite. I hate toy clutter. We've narrowed it down to one shelving unit, one toy box, and a train set. Plus costumes.

Reid doesn't have anything he really wants. His answer is always Thomas. He's a Thomas freak. But we already have a train set. And he has a couple little Thomas character trains. I just don't really see a need for more. And the reality is, Reid plays whatever Parker wants to play and Parker rarely wants to play trains.

I'm sure I could wander the isles of a toy store and find something to make him happy. I just wondered if anyone knows something great...maybe something that is well used at your house. A gift (toy or otherwise) that your kid loved. I don't want another toy that gets played with for a day and left on a shelf.

Parker has always been easy to shop for. I can think of a million things he'd love. Maybe it's because he's the oldest of three boys. Poor Gray is the worst. He hardly got a thing for Christmas...how many baby toys does one household really need? Even the little he got has hardly been used. He'd rather have mixing bowls and toilet paper any day.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally hear you on the baby not getting much! Poor Courtlyn does not get much that is new, but fortunately, she has no idea:) As for great toys...a huge hit at my house is always the bigger legos. Not the great big ones, I think they are called duplex. I would search craiglist though, as they care not cheap!! But, we got a huge set for RJ, and honestly they are played with everyday!! He also loves his wooden blocks..many cities have been built with those. Ohh, and if you dont have any of those cheap sets of little plastic animals...those are what the cities are built for...not people, animals!! We have a collection of those from walmart, the dollar store, you name it. Hope you have fun finding something great!!

Lauri said...

Common Katie, I want to see you whip up a Thomas costume or a life sized choo choo train made out of boxes.

jeanine said...

My boys love blocks... like duplos (those big legos). They also love beanbags. Jacob made them a bunch for Christmas and they love to have beanbag fights. Hmmm what else? I can't think right now but I'll let you know if I come up with something else.
And I'm totally with you on toy clutter. I've been secretly weeding out their toys everytime we clean up.

sharon kaye said...

Boys seems to enjoy anything you can build with--legos, waffle blocks, etc. How about a kid type tool set. Jeanine loved tools when she was little and she still does. Jacob loved tools also. When he was two years old, we gave him a little tool set that had a hand drill that would twirl around and make a noise. Unfortunately, he had not seen a real hand drill, but he had seen all four sisters and his mother using a blow dryer. (They look similar--sort of.) He held his toy drill up to his head like he was blow drying his hair. Also what about hot wheel cars or is he too young for that? One year I just gave my kids a box with tape, paper, crayons, kid scissors, etc. It was their favorite gift. Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

Cynthia said...

Brady loved tools. We found a tool belt and tools. They were plastic, like the fisher price toys, but I think Home Depot has a line of little boy tools.
I love the idea of blocks, all different shapes and sizes and animals. I worked at a pre-school for a while and there were FIGHTS in the classroom over whose turn it was in that station.
Does he like to be in the kitchen? A man-style apron, a mixing bowl, some utinsils of his own and a few cake mixes, muffin mixes and pancake mixes.
I'm sure you will come up with something awesome (like a Thomas costume - haha).

amelia said...

Dang, I've got nothing. My little brothers LOVED trucks at that age?

And I so praise you for lack of toy clutter.

Kelly said...

I love all the ideas! It is hard for me to remember, but Alex was into dinosaurs at this age- so he got the figures and stuff to make villages and what not. They aren't too cluttery,either- just shove them in a plastic bin and on a shelf, or under a bed! I hate clutter too!! Can't wait to hear what you get him- and holy cow- how did he get so big so fast?!

Traci Elizabeth said...

I say...Go to Ikea! They have the most awesome things in the kid department that you won't find else where. From tunnels to tents to cool chairs...everything. Awesome. Good luck.

Melissa + Brett said...

If you're looking to please the "Thomas" obsession...Tavin LOVES his Thomas tent thingy. At Target it is called "Thomas the Train Megahouse." The thing I love about it is that it folds up really small and flat. Tavin got it last Christmas and still plays with it/in it ALL the time! When kids come over it's all they want to play in too! BIG HIT!

Stubbart said...

Lincoln Logs is a favorite around here, as is a Hot Wheels carrying case.

But, the Ikea tents are a lot of fun too, if you have a place indoors to set it up. We bring ours out every few months, and it's like it's brand new all over again.