Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Christmas to Remember


I pulled out my Kenny and Dolly Christmas album for the first time this season a couple days ago. I don't know why it took me so long to choose to listen to that one. I guess I forgot I had it.

That's the album that does it for me. We had it on a record. It took me back to a million Christmas's as a kid. No specific memories...just decorations and crackling fires and pleasant thoughts of my whole family together and being a kid. A carefree kid without the responsibilities of Christmas...nor did I even notice that Christmas takes huge efforts from parents to pull off.

Not that I mind the responsibilities of being a parent at Christmas...I enjoy the hustle and bustle that this season brings. In lots of ways, I prefer being a parent at Christmas. I love making magic happen for my crazy boys. It's just a completely different time or life...a time that once you leave, you can never go back. Thank goodness for the sounds and smells and photographs that can flood in so many memories of when Christmas was that magical for me.

This post seems to be taking a different turn than I expected.

I am a Christmas music LOVER! Unless I'm listening to one of those easy listening radio stations that are overtaken by Christmas songs this time of year. From Thanksgiving on, I listen to nothing but Christmas music, but I just don't care for the cheesy songs played on those stations. Yet, my choice of Christmas music is more than embarrassing. I'd say the album I choose listen to most is Barry Manilow Christmas. But it's my Disney Christmas album that gets the most air time at our house. If I have to listen to Pluto bark "Oh Christmas Tree" one more time, I'll break the Cd. Probably not really...it's the only song Gray can sing along to and watching him bark "Oh Christmas Tree" is about the cutest thing I've ever seen. Though it hardly makes the song more bearable.

We can't make it through the season without listening to Osmond Family Christmas or Amy Grant. I don't care a great deal for either, but they're both the kind that have so many memories attached. My Squirrel Nut Zippers Christmas Album was the one I thought was really cool in my college years so I enjoy those memories, too. And a couple years ago, Spencer and I purchased Bare Naked Ladies Christmas album so we wouldn't completely feel like old people in our Christmas music collection. Then I realized, that made us seem more like people who can't get past high school. BNL hasn't been cool for years. Yet I still enjoy them.

Thanks to Spencer's love for classical choral music, we have a fantastic collection of Cambridge Singers Christmas Cd's. Like a HUGE collection. How can one conductor come out with so many Christmas Cd's? Seriously? Yet they are all incredibly beautiful. Honestly...very moving. And the music that brings back the memories for Spencer is the old time stuff...Perry Como, Bing Crosby, Johnny Mathis.

The the real question is...is it possible for Christmas albums to be cool? Or is everyone else's Christmas music collection equally embarrassing? I'm waiting for someone to list Kenny G as a favorite...that will assure me that someone has a more embarrassing love for Christmas music than I do. And what's the album that brings back those memories for you?

19 comments:

Lauri said...

Ah...you beat me to it. I was going to write a post about the music I love at Christmas time too. What is it about Christmas time that makes you listen to music you wouldn't listen to any other time of year?! Some of your favorites are also my favorites (hmmm, I wonder why?!)

everyday katie said...

Good comment mom...honestly, there's no other time of year I would suffer through the Osmonds.

Nicole said...

On a separate note from music, I just saw that you have an Etsy shop! Do you just do handbags or have you considered doing diaperbags?! :) Because soon I'll be on the market for one...

Kelly said...

I love Christmas music, it puts me in such a good mood.

And thats funny that my hubby is older than yours. Jason always feels like the oldest guy around all my friends! haha

Sheryl said...

I am a Christmas music freak!! I have more Christmas music than any other kind. Everyone teases me so much...but hey, it put a smile on my face, and a jingle in my step! Because ya know "It's the Most Wonderful Time of The Year"!!

Shalece said...

That is so funny I think we have the Kenny G Christmas album. haha... I too LOVE Christmas music. The station that plays non stop music around here is on permanently in my car until after Christmas! I absolutely love the traditional Christmas music, Bing Crosby and a bunch of other people whose names I don't even know! But I love it because like you said it brings back memories from Christmas' growing up. It's what my mom played and now what I love! :)

Designer's Holiday introduces IMAGINATION ART said...

I think the only time I've listened to the Osmonds is after they appeared on Oprah last year and I wondered what they sounded like when they were younger. I youtubed them and got a kick out of them singing with Cher.

I loooove Christmas music and though I have a few CDs I haven't listened to them since I've been married. Sunny 95 seems to play the perfect blend.

Minus my fav-which I don't have-Manheim Steamroller. I think my parents have all but the newest 2 cds. I can smell our Christmas Eve fondue dinner cooking whenever I hear any of their music.

And your Dolly & Kenny pick-I love that too. :)

Stubbart said...

My all time fav...Celine Dion! It came out while I was in college, and it always brings me back to those college days where we played it as loud as we could, and thought we sounded as good as she did (yeah right)!

jeanine said...

I love Christmas music... didn't we do something at the Life care center or something around Christmas time? I can't remember but I faintly remember practicing a bunch of Christmas songs. Anyway... I love Nat King Cole singing The Christmas Song. But albums? Bing Crosby's White Christmas and The Carpenter's Christmas Album have got to be my two favorite. They have the most memories.

Sam and Becky said...

We love Christmas music too Katie!! We listen to the 'rat pack Christmas album'-makes me think of Christmas' in NY or Chicago with snow and the freezing air.. Or of a simpler time, when people were nicer to each other, or the Wonder Years.... We also have "Now Christmas music and of course, Charlie Brown Christmas"

Great post katie.
:)

Erin said...

We have enough choices for everyday of Christmas! Paul starts listening around Halloween and loves when Kost 103.5 starts playing it! We have the American Idol Christmas and Kelly Clarkson can really sing! Pail's favorite is Bing Crosby, mine is a tie between Harry Connick Jr. and Celine Dion!

Traci Elizabeth said...

BAH HUMBUG. Just kidding. I actually need to get some christmas cd's under my belt. I refuse to listen to the radio this time of year, the christmas songs are so STUPID. I love Christmas Carols...just not the annoying songs on the radio every ten seconds. Dang, I really sound like scrooge.

Hubba's Thoughts said...

Hey, FYI, I saw on TV that the story of "The Flight Before Christmas" is on tonight... Isn't that the story you posted about a little while back?? I thought you might be interested! It's CBS I think... One of the three major networks. Have a great day.

Kris said...

Hmmmm, as a child the Christmas SONG that brings back memories would be Grandma got run over by a reindeer! My family got a big kick out of that. And one of my favorites has always been I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.
As far as the CDs we listen to in our home: Hold on, here we go.....
Jimmy Buffet's Christmas Island, George Strait-Fresh Cut Christmas,
Reba McEntire-Merry Christmas To You and Secret Of Giving...one of my favs!!,Vince Gill-Let There Be Peace on Earth..also a fav!,Brad Paisley-Christmas,Amy Grant-Home For Christmas,Bily Gilman,Josh Groban-Noel, Marie Osmand- Magic of Christmas,Windd of Chrismtas -Shardad Rohani, Rockapella Christmas,Aaron Nevill'es Soulful Christmas also a big fav!
There you have, now I am going to go load my CD player!

Eric said...

I too love Kenny & Dolly's Christmas, and I have to listen to the Osmonds Christmas CD every year when I'm putting up Christmas. Christmas music is seriously going nonstop at this household.

Geri said...

I love Christmas music, and my favorites are by Bing Crossby and Perry Como. It just wouldn't be Christmas without them.

Amanda B. said...

I love Christmas music- just about all of it! I love Josh Grobins CD, as well as some generic compilations I have. I agree with you about being a parent at Christmas- it is a lot of work, but so fun and so worth it! :)

Amanda B. said...

Oh, by the way- when you get a second (I know things are crazy busy for you, as they are here too..:)) Check my blog. There is an update I know you want to read....

:)

Traci Elizabeth said...

Katie...where are you????