Friday, August 29, 2008

Day One

So I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the majority of your parents took a picture of you on the first day of school each year. My parents were no exception. And since so many of us are finding ourselves posting first day of school pictures of our own kids this week, I thought I'd let you into my past by posting some of my own first day of school pictures.

I've mentioned this before, but most of my childhood pictures are at my mom's house in the family albums. I got the box of reject pictures that didn't quite make the cut. You'll notice very clearly why many of these are rejects. And I'm missing some years all together. I know my mom has been working on scanning in all our albums. So one day I can be the proud owner of the non-reject pictures. Maybe I'll re-post this another year with the keepers.


I'm starting all the way up with 4th grade. I don't have any first day of school pictures for kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd grade. I thought for sure I did. Although if you asked, I could probably tell you what I wore. I have an unbelievably good memory when it comes to clothing. This remained my favorite outfit throughout the year.



6th grade (no 5th either) This was before braces...and tweezers apparently. And before any sense of fashion. What was the deal with my hat?



7th Grade. This was my first day of junior high AND my birthday. This still goes down in history as my worst birthday ever. Not one friend remembered my birthday that year because everyone was so caught up in the first day of school. Plus, I was at a new school. And not just any school, junior high. I had to get used to changing from class to class all day. And the only two friends I had going in to 7th grade got all their classes together and not one with me. I didn't know anyone in my classes. I came home and cried for a long time. I hated junior high. This is birthday festivities after school. That must be my cousin, Javin in the picture with me.



8th grade...definitely an improvement over 7th. Nice sneeze picture. Nicer legs. I was all about knee high's this year.



9th grade. First day of high school. Ahh. That's better. I loved everything about high school from day one. Especially this rockin' zipper dress.



10th grade. I'm pretty sure this was not the first day of school...just me trying on my first day of school outfit a couple days before. Yes, I still did that in high school. That explains the bare feet and lack of make-up. I know this is what I wore. Why? I don't know. I saw these pants at Express and thought it was awesome that these cute little 60's pants were in the stores. I thought it'd be awesome and funny to get some. They never quite caught on, but they seemed to be the pre-cursor to the ever popular capri's. The shirt is homemade. I'm pretty sure I made it, but it could have been my mom. Do you remember Mom?



No 11th grade picture.
12th. Yes. I'm posing. I don't really know why. But my clothing choice is a little more mainstream.



I even made my roommates take a picture of me on my first day of college at Utah State. Go Aggies. And I thought high school was fun...college includes some of the best memories of my life.



As a sad ending to this ever so fun post...I was putting my box of pictures away at the top of my closet and I dropped it. My photos that were nicely organized by year only moments ago, are now scattered memories all over my closet.

22 comments:

Lauri said...

About the hat...YOU CHOSE IT.

When I was scanning pictures this summer, I was laughing at all of the first day of school photos--they all look the same. For some reason, most of them were taken in the same spot in our house.

I clearly remember when you came home of the first day of 7th grade. That was hard for me to watch as a parent. As I remember though, it was a year of great growth for you as you had to learn to make new friends.

Now that I look at the "reject" pictures you have, I definitely need to get you the good ones. Your kids will be glad they live in the days of digital photography. It sure simplifies things.

Autumn said...

AHH. I love them all. Love them all. I wish I had done back to school pix as long as you. I don't have a steady stream as much as you do. I especially love it that you did it in college too!

I'm so glad your Mom is taking on that project. Wow. It will be a 10 year project if anyone in my family ever decides to take it on. I think I'm going to start going to my parents once a month to take a bite out of the project.

Autumn said...

Oh, and sorry about the spilled pix. I've done that more than once. RRGHH. SO aggravating.

Danielle said...

By far-the knee highs are my favorite, I would love to see you pull those out for church...=)

Erin said...

I remember the 1st day of Junior High about the same, the only diff-it wasn't my bday! But if remember it correctly you were very popular at Raney!!

Love all the pics-I'll have to see if I can find anyof myself!

Kelly said...

That was so fun!! I loved all the pictures so much!! Especially that rockin zipper dress- my goodness- that was high fashion where I came from!! I love the knee highs, too- no one here caught on to that look-neither did I- I hated my legs!!
I have college pics too- they are fashion disasters now though.
Sorry about the spill- that is awful- and I have done that too!
PS-
I love that your mom says you CHOSE that hat!! So Katie!!

Kris said...

Scattered memories, are better than no memories.....
Loved the post. You have been a darling girl since the day I met you, way back in grammar school!!!
: )

Traci Elizabeth said...

Seriously...what were we thinking back then??? I am glad you have the guts to share those photos, because mine are staying hidden.

I love the 12 grade photo of you... I remember you getting that hair cut and loving it.

Crystal said...

I agree with Traci on the guts. I don't think I ever want to share my flashback memories. That 12th grade photo brings back so many memories. Those were good times!

Crystal said...

I agree with Traci on the guts. I don't think I ever want to share my flashback memories. That 12th grade photo brings back so many memories. Those were good times!

jeanine said...

So fun to see all the pictures. And your 7th grade memory reminds me of 8th grade. You guys were all on the same "teams" and I was all alone. No one remembered my birthday that year.

So sorry about the spilled pictures!

jeanine said...

and I LOVE that you had a "first day" picture from college!

Heidi said...

WOW!! those were REALLY fun to look at, and read your comments along with them! You seriously NEED to make your blog into a book. Im sure more than just family would be interested! You are so clever!

Cynthia said...

Fun pictures. I have a great first day of kindergarten picture of myself but not many others. But based on every other picture of myself from then on, things went downhill so I guess that's for the best.
Sorry about the spilled pictures. But now you get to re-live good memories one more time while you go through them again.

Genn said...

Great first day of school pics Katie. I am pretty sure I had that exact outfit you wore the first day of 7th grade. Right down to the choker. I think the shorts were BONGO weren't they? We've got great taste in clothes. Sorry your first day of 7th gr. wasn't the best one. You also look so cute on your first day of college too. Good post.

Kelly said...

OK, after composing myself I have to make a few comments. I love the 6th grade hat! Then the 7th grade choker necklace. Then comes the 9th grade almost hooker dress (SORRY!)... then a drastic change to 10th grade with the very happy yellow pants. I love your pictures! Great post! Great memories!

Kelly said...

OK, after composing myself I have to make a few comments. I love the 6th grade hat! Then the 7th grade choker necklace. Then comes the 9th grade almost hooker dress (SORRY!)... then a drastic change to 10th grade with the very happy yellow pants. I love your pictures! Great post! Great memories!

Amanda B. said...

Actually, I have no pictures of me the first day of school except Kindergarten- which is a rare cute picture of me- maybe I will post it some day. My parents weren't great with a camera...

The hat in 6th grade says "Debbie Gibson" which is probably about right. Though, I think she was popular when I was in junior high and I am a couple years older. I agree about Junior High- I hated it! Though I hated high school too. College rocked though! :)

Sheryl said...

Absolutely darling! Your mom did a great job chronicalling your growing up years. You were and are so adorable!!

Jessica said...

I love it. Even more that I was with you on all those first days of school except college and I don't remember any of those outfits. I am sure mine were just as bad if not worse. I am sorry that I forgot your birthday in the seventh grade. If it make it any better I came home and cried the first day of school too. I was afraid of all the gangsters girls in my classes.

Valarie said...

That is great that you have so many "first day" pictures. It is so much fun to look back at our fashion decisions. I was always a t-shirt and jeans girl, so my pics are pretty boring. But my hair styles...priceless!

Unknown said...

Don't feel bad. I don't have ONE first-day-of-school photo...nope. Not one. If I did, I'm sure you looked 10 x's better than I ever did!
And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! You look fantastic! I have no idea why you keep talking about your weight. You look tiny to me!