Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Healthy Competition...yet again.

I'm just realizing that it has been almost a year since Gray was born. I still think of him as brand new. And maybe that's because it helps me justify the 15 plus pounds I still have to loose. I keep thinking...it's ok, I just had a baby. But with both of my other two, I had lost it all before they reached 11 months. I'm finding myself very frustrated with it all on a regular basis. I have worked very hard to loose this. From November to June, I lost 30 pounds. An accomplishment I should be much more proud of, I know. It's hard to be excited about 30 pounds when people don't notice because you still have so much to loose.


Although a whole new wardrobe sounds nice, I have a closet full of fall clothes in a smaller size that I'd rather fit into. I haven't been giving it much of an effort since I took a trip out of town at the end of June and it's time to start kickin' it into gear again. And there is nothing that motivates me like a little competition.

Those of you who entered the competition last time around must thing I'm insane. It was SO HARD! Because it was less than a year ago, I most certainly have not forgotten how hard it was. Likewise, I haven't forgotten how good it made me feel. I had more energy. I had better skin. I slept better. I played better with my kids. I looked better in my clothes. I was happier. I really feel I can contribute portions of all of that to healthy living. I think I'm motivated more by this than by the weight loss this time around. And I'm looking forward to feeling better.

Those of you who are new to the Healthy Competition...it's not about weight loss, just about healthy living. Though weight loss was a nice perk. I won the competition and lost 16 pounds And the second place winner lost over 20 pounds.



This is the game (with a few changes from last time around):

Everyone participating puts in $20.

Points are awarded for each healthy decision throughout the day (I'll explain further down). Everyone keeps track of their own points and emails me their weekly totals at the end of each week. Emails must be turned in by Sunday or you get docked a point. I'll email everyone's weekly totals to all participants so you know where you stand each week. (I'll email that to you on Monday or I get docked a point.) At the end of 10 weeks, the person with the most points wins the big money. There will be monetary prizes for the top three players.

Points are awarded daily for the following (one point for each healthy choice):

  1. 30 minutes of exercise
  2. 15 additional minutes of exercise (a point for this 15 min is only awarded if you've already exercised for 30 min)
  3. healthy breakfast
  4. healthy lunch
  5. healthy dinner
  6. no sweets / soda all day
  7. 3 servings of vegetables
  8. 2 servings of fruit
  9. no unhealthy snacks
  10. 64 oz of water
Some of these points are a little vague, I know. But I leave it up to the individual to make decisions. You may choose any form of exercise you like. Whether you eat out or dine in...just make healthy choices. Try to eat balances meals. As for the unhealthy snacks...we all know what's healthy and not. Potato chips=unhealthy. Apple=healthy. We're using the "Honor Code" here. I found last time that this was very subjective. A healthy meal for some people meant to weigh all their food and really take it to the extreme. For others it mainly just meant not eating out or adding a salad to a regular meal. It's too hard to define healthy. Everyone can make their own decision regarding that.

There were questions last time about chewing gum...I certainly don't have a problem with that. And also questions about sugar-free sweets. To me, it's still a sweet and I say off limits. They're not really healthy, right?

There is a possible 10 points to be earned per day. 60 possible per week. Sundays are free days. NO EXCEPTIONS. You can't pick a different free day or switch Sunday out to meet your needs.

Everyone gets 25 free points to use throughout the competition. I changed this from last time around. If you really just need sweets or potato chips or something one day...eat them without missing that point. Or if you just can't seem to get in that extra 15 minutes of exercise one day...you can still get points for it. Or if you just can't resist a Big Mac...eat it. It's up to you to keep track of your own free points. Halloween will take place during the competition...if you know that's a temptation for you, you may want to save them up. Or if you have birthdays or anniversaries to celebrate, or if you happen to get sick...again, save up. Some of you may prefer just to use 2-3 free points a week to help you get by.

If there is a tie, however, unused free points will be the tie breaker. It's important to keep accurate track of your free points. Again...top three winners get a monetary prize. I plan on splitting it 50%, 30%, and 20% respectively. Who couldn't use a little extra cash in time for the Holidays?

The competition will begin on Monday, September 8 and last 10 weeks; ending on November 16 (one year from when I began the last competition...ironic). There is a total possible 600 points. Your entry fee must be turned in (or in the mail) by the first week of the competition.

The more the merrier...and the bigger the prize money. So seriously think about it. And talk your friends into entering with you. I don't have to know you well, or know you at all. (Just a common friend or something would be nice...I don't want to give out my address to any random creep on the internet.) If you have friends or family interested, I'd love to have them. I'd like at least 10 people to enter...or I may cancel.

This is not some elaborate scheme to get your money. If that were that case, I'd ask for a lot more than $20. As a side note...once you've entered and committed your money, there's no going back. If you decide you can't make it half way through, you just lose...no money back.

Please let me know ASAP who's interested. I'm sending out a mass email about it, so some of you may get that, too. The competition starts in less than two weeks. I have an email address I opened for the last competition. I'll use it again. If you're interested or have questions, either leave a comment or email me at: healthycompetition@gmail.com.

16 comments:

Traci Elizabeth said...

I dont know.....I will get back to you.

Lauri said...

I probably need it more this year than I did last year but I just am not as motivated right now. I will admit, it did help me implement some good habits that are still with me.

Good for you for doing it again.

Jenn said...

You are so good about this! I dont need to loose weight BUT i have been wanting to eat a lot healthier, so I may join. I will let you know! Good Luck to everyone!

Suzanne said...

Hmmm, I just might have to do this! I could use a good kick start and a little competition is always fun. Of course the money is always a good motivation too.

Danielle said...

SInce I have revisited this twice already it must mean I need to join you...count me in!

Amanda B. said...

Good luck to you! though I need it, I know I could never beat "The Master" :):)

Have fun with it! :)

Kim said...

Impressive, I'll most likely join it sounds fun, and very motivating.

Jeffrey Benson said...

Me and Matt are in...

Kelly said...

You go girl!! I am impressed! I am thinking of you right now as I get ready to hop on the tread for my run- I wish you luck! You can do it- and you look great anyway!

Genn said...

Katie,
If I wasn't pregnant I would totally do this with you. I would almost like to now, but I am afraid I would be terribly disappointed to see that my numbers on the scale are consistantly growing higher and not smaller. A great motivator though.

By the way, from what I can tell in the pics you put on your blog, you look great! I can't even tell you have baby weight still hanging around. But I know what you mean, even if people tell you that, you know what your old clothes size was and how they do not fit now. Good luck to you!!

Valarie said...

It sounds like a great idea, if I wasn't so lazy. :p Good luck to everyone who enters!

Erin said...

So, I purposely gianed 25 pds. so I could get pregnant and have weight to lose, but we have realized my pregnancies are to horrible to put our 2 kids through. So I am now stuck with these horrible pds. SO I AM SO IN!!
This is so needed to keep me from regretting not trying for another.
Answer to prayers-thanks Katie!!

jeanine said...

I think Rich is in again.

River said...

oh my gosh. I need this. Yes, I'm so in. living out in the middle of nowhere with the nearest fast food over 70 miles away may give me the advantage I need. So far it's just cost me a lot in gas.LOL

Abbey said...

Sign me up!! I like to compete, plus I have 15 lbs to go, I want to give yoy a run for your money!!!

Heidi said...

Okay... Im in... I know i wimped out last time... so Im in...