Friday, August 22, 2008

Just Keep Swimming...

Does it still count as a Flashback if it was just a few weeks ago? The truth is, Reid fell asleep in the car while we were out today. I transported him safely and still asleep to his room. But when it was Park's time for a nap, I didn't want to wake Reid so I put him down in my room. I don't think he's sleeping...just playing. But I don't want to go into my room to search for Flashback photo's and disturb him. So this is what you get...but it's way better than a flashback.

My mom got Parker swimming lessons for his birthday. Great gift huh? We had no extra toys cluttering the house and I didn't have to pay for something I otherwise would have. Thanks Grandma B! I'm sure you've been expecting pictures.

The cutest part of the whole thing is watching the kids do warm-up stretches.


His teacher was Miss Brittany. She's the only girl who ever showed up in a one piece swimming suit and she wore a one piece every time. I really liked her.





Mr. Blake was one of the assistants. He liked to give Parker a mohawk, for whatever reason.


This is during Parker's favorite game, "Mr. Whale." He plays it at home with Reid all the time.



Hangin' out, waiting for lessons to start.



Reid liked to come along every morning. We arranged lessons at 8:00am so I wouldn't have to take all the kids, but Reid felt REALLY left out. So he came every morning but one.

Any guesses what Reid's doing here? Singin' in the Rain. He saw a light pole and identified it with that scene from the movie. (Which he's only seen a few times and not for a long time.) I was impressed that he put that together. I should have had video. He was singing and dancing and everything.


Reid insisted on wearing his cape everyday. Which I thought was majorly cute.




Parker did great. He started the session not knowing a thing about swimming and had caught up to the rest of the kids by the end. He still can't really swim, but it's a great start. He loved it. The teachers were darling and the prices were fair (in fact, they were the cheapest lessons in town). There were three instructors to 5 kids. I plan on enrolling both of my older two kids there next year. It was really great.

The worst part about the whole thing...they had to cancel the last day. There's a huge Cryptosporidium scare at all the pools out here. And a kid got sick in the pool so they had to close it down for a few days. The last day was supposed to be an awards ceremony and the kids show off what they learned. (We weren't allowed to get very close most days. Apparently it distracts the kids and they don't learn as much. I was hoping to get better pictures that day.) Then after it's over, they turn on all the water slides and equipment and the kids and their families can play for a bit. We were all bummed.

Thanks again Mom, it was a good experience.

16 comments:

Jess/Nate&Family said...

wow how fun! I can't wait to start teaching swim lesson! Your boy is so dang cute and i love that he has a imagination!! Well it's been a while since i blogged sorry. I will update mine sometime soon. Miss ya
jessica

Genn said...

What a neat place for swimming lessons. That play equipment in the pool sure looks fun. And that is a good idea for the two ft deep only so the kids aren't as afraid. Looks like a nice place to take your kids.

jeanine said...

What a great birthday present! I think next summer I'll enroll William in some swim lessons. He thinks it's really cool after watching swimming on the Olympics.

Kelly said...

What a priceless gift!! You are so lucky - your mom is fantastic!! I love the cape on Ried- he is just so adorable! Glad they are becoming swimmers- that is perfect timing from the Olympics, huh?!
Love that Parker is so good at stretches- he looks so cute!

Erin said...

That is a cool gift! Bummer about the last day-they should reschedual!

Cynthia said...

That really is a cool gift. Are there a lot of neighborhood moms at the pool to hang around with? It's great that they are learning to swim and becoming confident in the water so young. Good for you.

Eric said...

That is a great gift idea. I keep saying I'm going to put the kids in swim lessons every year and I still haven't. I need someone to give my kids that gift so I'll actually do it. Cute pictures!

Lauri said...

I'm glad swimming lessons were a hit. Too bad the last day was cancelled. That would have been so much fun for everyone.

Amanda B. said...

I am so behind on this one.... that is awesome that he did so great. Maybe because we are in Ohio and don't have a pool, can't really afford pool membership, rarely go to a pool, etc, etc- it never really crossed my mind to get them lessons until this year- which I never did. We are so doing it next year. I am a bit embarrassed to have an 8 year old who has never taken lessons.... oh well. We'll get there. :)

Congrats Parker- that is awesome! :)

Autumn said...

I LOVE it how into capes your kids are!! And I am amazed at Reid's putting-it-together of that scene too. WOW. That's so awesome-and darling. What a BUMMER about the last day. :( I think they should reschedule.

Jessica said...

What fun swim lessons. Great gift Grandma!!! I am glad he enjoyed the lesson. Too bad you guys don't live closer or I could teach Parker for free. Too bad about the last day. They should have had a make up day for that one or at least a refund for the day.

The Cochran Family said...

Isn't this fun, doing all te right of passage stuff with our kids....well swim lessons in texas might as well be a right of passage... :) sooo cute and your pool looks nice and new! So fun, cute cute kids...love the google shots :)

Kris said...

Looks like he had a positive first experience. So great. Love, love, love Reid in his cape! What a cutie!

Sheryl said...

Great pictures of your cuties! Once my kids took lessons, it was amazing how that whole new world in the water became one they have always loved ever since. I never did take any lessons, and am still a bit of a chicken today. Yay Gramma B.

Kelly said...

Great gift Grandma B! Looks like he totally enjoys it!

Valarie said...

Swim lessons are always soo much fun!! It's a bummer that you guys didn't get to do the last day. Maybe you can do lessons again next year and get to join in the fun then. :)