Monday, May 19, 2008

Ticket-Free Since 2003

So when I said I wanted to go back to school, I hadn't even considered the option of traffic school. Little did I know all I had to do was fly down a street at 16 mph over the speed limit and I could reserve myself a seat at the front of the class.

The truth is, I'm not much of a speed racer. I maybe go a couple miles per hour over the speed limit, but I don't really speed. I have received three speeding tickets prior to this one...all of which took place during my college years. Ticket free since 2003. (Or maybe it was 2002, but 2003 was when I left Logan. Besides, 2003 rhymes.) Yes, not one ticket in Ohio.

I really hate getting speeding tickets. Three tickets in Logan was enough to teach me a lesson. Not because I feel unsafe speeding, but nothing irritates me more than wasting money. I can think of a million other ways I would rather be spending $50 (or whatever the fine is). It is a totally preventable waste of money.

This time I was really ticked off. There is a street here that starts out at 45 mph and changes to 30 mph a little ways down. Well when I first moved here, I thought it was 45 down the whole street. It was a month or so before I realized it changed to 30. So I've had a hard time getting it into my head that the speed limit changes and I have a serious problem on this road.

So on Friday (on my way to the temple of all places), I am flying down the road and I see a police officer standing in the middle of the street motioning me to turn down another road. I assumed he was closing the road for something, so I turned and started to keep driving. He motioned to me to pull over. I had no idea he was about to give me a ticket. The 30 mph sign is at the top of a small hill and he pulled me over at the bottom...maybe 20 yards away from the sign... maybe not even. I have no idea where he tracked me going 46mph, but the sign is seriously in a bad place. What did he expect? Should I have slammed on my brakes on a down hill?

I suppose I could try to fight the ticket, but I probably won't. The truth is, if he had caught me further away from the 30 mph sign, I would have still been going 46. Now I have to decide If I think it's worth it to attend traffic school. This is rotten.

12 comments:

jeanine said...

Okay... is that hill on the way to the park? If so I saw it... and that's tricky. Totally unfair ticket.

Moms Are Contagious said...

Ok, I can totally understand. Something VERY similiar happened to me and that is the ONLY time I have ever gotten a speeding ticket. Better yet...I had 3 of the Morley kids in the backseat. Yeah, I hate when one road has two different speeding tickets!!!

Kelly said...

I am a principle fighter, so for me, I would argue it- but don't plan on winning- I fought one and lost miserably! The cops never back down, so it is best to just pay it and move on- I am sorry, that is really crappy! Going down Main toward Taylor, it changes speed limits, and I almost always forget- now there is a traffic sign monitoring your speed- I hate it! So sorry, hope it's not more than $50- I have only gotten 3 in my life, and they were all within 4 months! All in 1997! I am counting my blessings, since I promised Heavenly Father I wouldn't speed again if I didn't get a ticket the third time- I did get the ticket $100, though I kept my promise and haven't gotten one since. I am so knocking on wood right now!

Lauri said...

I don't know how things are in Texas but I learned that in Arizona, you not only have to pay to go to traffic school (120.00) but also pay the ticket (Arizona is always looking for ways to make money). The only advantage of going to traffic school is that it doesn't show up on your insurance.

In AZ, we have cameras that take pictures. Somehow, they can catch you speeding as well as running a red light...I don't run red lights but if you happen to be at a certain point in the intersecion when the light changes from yellow to red, the camera takes a picture of you running a red light. Gotta love it.

Good luck!

Traci Elizabeth said...

When I was on my way home from Texas when my sister lived there...I got pulled over for doing 110 in a 75. Scary huh? I didnt realize I was going so fast. I was driving all the way to california by myself and I just wanted to get home. The worst part was that I was charged with Criminal traffic instead of civil traffic. The good thing about it was that it was in a different state than I reside and it didnt make it to my record...LUCKY ME.

I had 4 speeding tickets prior to that, but that one scared me and I don't speed anymore. So I have been ticket free since 2002.

Good thing is now that if I get pulled over...I can use the "my husband is a cop" excuse and get off =)....

Cynthia said...

Ticket free since 1988! (I know, it doesn't rhyme, but it's worth being a bit braggity about it)
Dave fights every ticket just because. (yes, he has been stopped quite regularly over the years) He can be completely guilty, with a traffic photo of his face and his license plate and still gets out probably 70% of all his tickets.

Autumn said...

That is really annoying. I hate speeding tickets-though I'm a good candidate for them. It would be more annoying to me to get it in town than on the freeway. I agree-preventable, thus irritating. (But I can't seem to stop speeding...)

Jenn said...

That totally stinks girl! I think I have 3 speeding tickets! Make sure you go to traffic school.... it will be on your record for 3 years and increase your premium if you don't(i am sure you know, just wanted to give some advice from an insurance agent). :)

Amanda B. said...

What a bummer!! Speeding tickets really stink. And, I definitely see your point there- sounds like it is in a bad place. I have had my share- 4 within a few years- all on the same road (though miles apart...). But, none since 2000! :)

Sorry about the icky luck! It just seems wrong when you were going to the temple!

Abbey said...

That is crazy, I got pulled over like that before too. Police officers are so clever, I didnt even see it coming either. Well, look at it this way in three years your slate will be clean again!!

Unknown said...

I say fight it! Some police are just buggers. My dad went a fought a ticket once and caught the policeman lying. Then one time he showed up and got excused for the ticket because the policeman didn't bother to show up. You never know, it may be worth it.

Erin said...

That totally stinks! I really hate tricky signs and lines. I am so knocking on wood that this doesn't happen to me!