Thursday, March 27, 2008

Introducing...



***Flashback Fridays***


Catchy huh? I considered Monday Memories, but I tend to have a lot of other things to blog about on Mondays.

What inspired this? Several things. One, I've been enjoying Autumns trips down memory lane on her blog. Two, I've always wanted to scan in all my old pictures. I treasure my pictures and have a huge fear of losing them. I feel a little safer having them permanently on the world wide web. Three, Spencer wanted to see one of my childhood pictures earlier this week because he doesn't think Reid looks like me. And asking me to get out pictures is always a mistake. After an hour or so of reminiscing, Spence made me stop for dinner. As I was flipping through albums and digging through photos, I kept thinking to myself, "I have to post this one." My pile of 'have to post' pictures included almost all of them. I could devote an entire blog to old pictures. I love them. So as to not bore those of you who aren't into flashbacks, I'll try to limit them to Friday's.

If you know me and you read this blog (or even if you don't), you can almost bet there will be a flashback that includes you at some point. And there's a good chance it will be embarrassing. Although I don't have pictures of everyone. I'm surprised at some of the friends I have little to no pictures of. And how many events and photo ops I must not have brought my camera to.

I'm trying to start a fad. I love old pictures of anybody. You're all welcome to join me with your own Flashback Fridays. I won't be irritated that you're stealing my idea. Or, if you have pictures or memories with me and you want to see them featured on one of my Flashback Fridays, let me know or send me the pictures.

So for my very first Flashback Friday I'm featuring....drum roll...a good friend from my high school days, Kim.
Kim and I are now re-acquainted thanks to the wonderful world of blogging. Of all the people I lost touch with in my life, Kim was the one I was most sad about. When I was packing to move to Texas, I found an old girls camp journal. I wrote about how glad I was that she had moved into the ward and what a great friend she was and how much fun we had together. If I knew where that journal was now, I'd scan it in. I'm sure it would include stories about crazy dances with Heidi and Jennifer when we were supposed to be learning constellations and giggling until someone peed their pants. Most of my LDS friends were not in my ward. I was so glad when she moved in during high school and I was so sad we didn't stay in contact. I have no idea how she found my blog, but I am very grateful.

So here you go Kim...a few embarrassing pictures to welcome you to the blogosphere.

This is at girl's camp. I can't tell you how many times I've looked at this picture and I never noticed we're sitting on someone, but there's a third set of legs in there. Do you have any idea who we're sitting on? One of your sisters maybe?

Kim, Kelly, Me and Jeanine at EFY

Some young women activity that we were no doubt trying to skip out on.

Dress up for no reason at all. It must have been shortly after EFY because we still have our bracelets on.

Girls only bonfire at the beach.

Why do we always think pyramids are a good idea? And why is Pennie on the bottom? And how is she doing that with one hand?



Girls night out at Disneyland Hotel.

Christmas breakfast with the girls.

I know I have pictures from when I was your campaign manager when you ran for ASB treasurer. And I have a favorite from that night at Disneyland hotel. I had it framed in my dorm room my freshman year of college. Now I have no idea where it is. I guess you lucked out. Once again...it's good to catch up with you.

17 comments:

Kelly said...

Those are great pictures!! I can't seem to find many of mine from back in the day, but they will show up somewhere, sometime...It is so nice to keep in touch with friends, it is great through blogging, too!! I love the Friday's Flashback, reminds me of the 80's- but for you young one, the 90's!

jeanine said...

What a great idea! I might just have to steal it... we'll see. I don't think that I had any pictures from our bonfire (is that the one that we couldn't even start the fire by ourselves?) and the Christmas breakfast. Those were fun to see. Wow. And I can't believe that you are sitting on someone in that camp picture! Too funny! This was SUCH a fun post!

everyday katie said...

Jeanine...that is the bonfire that we couldn't start ourselves. The boys didn't think we could do it and we just knew we could. We swore we'd never tell. It's funny. Despite that incident, I'm still sure I could start a fire by myself.

Autumn said...

Love them, love them, love them. Its SO fun looking back!! Katie, are you in that one pyramid picture? I can't spot you. I must have enlarged the sitting on someone picture 5x trying to see more of that person. The head is barely there!!

I started my "have to scan" stack but then refiled them after I couldn't figure out my scanner and was tired of them sitting on my desk. I've obviously figured it out since and have a certain pile from a certain era ready to post...as soon as I can find the other half in an envelope that I can't find?!?!?!

So my idea was a bit different. I was thinking of "Friday funnies" or "Friday FYE" but I can't seem to restrain myself when I have something I'm dying to post. But you can sure bet that I will continue to post old pictures. One more reason to look forward to Fridays.

everyday katie said...

Autumn...I'm not in the pyramid pic. I should have said. Sorry you took so long searching.

Traci Elizabeth said...

Luckily you already did a tribute to me on my birthday, so I know I don't have a flashback friday coming my way (right?)...

When I was looking at the pics, I was wondering...where is Nicole Robertson now?? Last I knew she was working in Norco with Jenn Stowells mom...I wonder if she still is.

I am so happy for this blogging thing. Its so fun to be able to keep in touch, especially since you all moved so far away!

Kim said...

Oh my goodness... I had completely forgotten about the bonfire and the Christmas breakfast. I remembered the dressing up I have pictures of that, which I think you gave me. I found you through Heidi Holmes we found each other on facebook. I can't tell you how excited I was when we moved to Corona to have such a good friend I had gone to three Jr High's and was so scared to start an another new school especially for high school. You made it very easy and fun for me. I never would have done cross country or choir if it weren't for you and I wouldn't have run for asb treasurer if it weren't for you and Nicole. Which made my senior year much more fun since most of my friends including you graduated a year before me. Since our Mom's hang out in Mesa some times I have been getting updates but I like reading your blog and looking at pictures of your family much more.And I have no idea who we are sitting on... I looked at the shoes and they aren't ones I remember from one of my sisters I'll have to look through my pictures and see if I can find out.

Kim said...

actually now that I think about it I think the legs belong to my sister Lisa... I'll have to ask her.

Erin said...

So cool! That is so funny. I totally get the not havimg pics of some of the outings. Love the idea of flashbacks!!

Unknown said...

Great photos!!! I too worry about my older pictures gettin lost or ruined. I was glad when you tagged me fo rthe wedding photos - it forced me to scan them on my computer. It is so fun to travvel down memory lane every once in awhile -- maybe I will soon and d o my own flash back friday.

Amanda B. said...

great pictures! I especially enjoyed the one of you in the bright yellow shirt and hat with black decorated shorts..... grin (:)) Maybe I will copy you if we get a scanner that works......

nicole said...

Katie, Traci had her baby early this morning at 1:30. He is 7 lbs 6oz. They are both doing good. I know you are her friend so I thought I would let you know. :)

Heidi said...

wow those are some great pictures! I love your flashback fridays. I just wish I knew how to scan and post pictures. I have a scrapbook full of some great memories! I cant wait to read more!

Abbey said...

You look so different with long hair. Looks like you had fun go back to the younger days. I always enjoy doing that too.

The Cochran Family said...

Great idea! I need to buy a scanner so I can do the same!! I love that you are sharing these, so fun to see eachother when we were young and perky! :)

Unknown said...

You are such a 90s child. Oh the differences I see between you and me... :)

Jenn said...

LOVE the FLASHBACKS!!