Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Mini Martha

Not mini in a physical sense. It would be hard to describe me as mini compared to most things. Mini in the fact that I've been busy with just a small amount of Martha Stewart like homemaking.

I had my visiting teaching sisters over for a luncheon on Monday. The whole event was a disaster, but the food was delicious. I don't normally consider myself an amazing cook. I cook well enough that my kids will be able to have their friends over for dinner without being embarrassed and my husband doesn't make fun of my cooking to his co-workers. My meals are all good enough. Simple and easy and good enough. Every once in a while I put forth the effort to make something great. Monday was such an occasion. And because this recipe has a lot of my own touches, I thought I'd share it.


Tortilla Soup
(serves 8)

1 onion chopped
1 tbs olive oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder (more or less to taste)
1 tsp salt
2 cans (15 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can whole kernel corn, undrained
8 cups chicken broth
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded

Saute onion in olive oil about 2 minutes.
Add garlic, crushed red pepper, and chili powder. Cook 2-3 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, corn, broth, and salt.
Bring to a boil.
Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
Add chicken.

Garnish with any or all of the following:
shredded cheese
avocado slice
chopped fresh cilantro
lime wedge
tortilla strips


Tortilla Strips

about 20 corn tortillas
1 envelope taco seasoning
cooking spray

Cut tortillas into thin strips with pizza cutter.
Coat with cooking spray.
Sprinkle with envelope of taco seasoning. You might not use the whole envelope.
Bake at 400 for about 30 min until crisp.


Delicious!


The stockings were hung by the chimney with care...


We actually don't have a chimney so really, they're just sitting out. I finished up Grayden's stocking today. I bought fabric for stockings back when Spencer and I were celebrating our first Christmas married. I was working at a quilt shop. I have managed to stretch that fabric out into making 5 stockings with it. I am now out of coordinating fabric. That means either I can't have any more kids, or I have to make all new stockings when another comes along. I'll probably get all new stockings anyway. What I liked 6 Christmas' ago, I don't care for anymore. I'm a little tired of these stockings. I let someone at the quilt shop talk me into appliqueing the front of them. It's just not my thing, but I did freehand all the appliques. Despite the fact that they're no longer my taste, I think I did a pretty good job.

I'm working on some super hero capes for my boys for Christmas, too. Pictures to come...after Christmas.

5 comments:

Traci Elizabeth said...

I don't know.... My chicken tortilla soup is pretty fantastic, but I might give yours a try to compare! =)

Unknown said...

You go Martha!! I am do not a creative person!! Every once in awhile I will try something but it is never as cute as I had planned so then I hate it and never get it out or just throw it away!!

I am impressed at your stockings, theyare really cute

Christina

Lisha said...

I LOVE your stockings! If you get sick of them feel free to send them my way. I wish I could sew like you do! My extent of sewing is doing buttons and putting patches on Bryce's scout shirt (which I think HE should do, don't you?).

jeanine said...

That soup look delicious... I'll have to try it! And those stockings are adorable... I just finished James' this week. Mine are ugly compared to yours.

Jenn said...

you are a Mini Martha!! I will have to give your soup a try and your stockings are way too cute. The other day i was telling my hubby i am NOT a MARTHA! LOL I get frustrated sewing and i hate cooking!!