Monday, September 17, 2007

That's what it's all about

In response to comments made after my last blog...

While I appreciate the compliments, my house unfortunately isn't chaotic all the time. It's just what I write about because sitting in front of the TV doesn't make for a good story. (Television wasn't something I let my kids watch much of until the past month or so, but I've never been as grateful for PBS kids as I am at 8 months pregnant.) But the chaos is my favorite part of any day.

What are kids for if not to entertain me? I used to think people had kids to mow the lawn, clean the bathroom, and empty the dishwasher. Boy was I wrong (at least for now). I never considered that they didn't come out with the skills necessary to fulfill those duties. So I had to come up with some other purpose for children. And entertainment seemed to fit perfectly. My boys really are well behaved and usually obedient. But that's probably because they don't get in trouble for doing awesome jumps off the book shelf onto the bed, dancing on the couch, making up songs to sing at the top of their lungs, pulling all the blankets out of the closet, making costumes out of whatever they can find, or having screaming wars.

A couple months ago, some mothers with young children in the ward were talking about a particular relief society lesson that had everyone offended. The teacher mentioned that the way kids behaved in sacrament was a reflection of how they behaved at home. And I was offended when I first heard about it, too. My kids are definitely more obedient at home than in sacrament meeting. But after more reflection on the matter, I thought it's probably true. My kids don't get in trouble for putting on a performance standing on the couch at home, but they do at church. But my kids crack me up. I would hate to take that away from my day and theirs.

After all:
You put your right foot in. You take your right foot out.
You put your right foot in and you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around.

Isn't that what it's really all about?

I'm writing about this in case any of you ever did spend a day at my house. I don't want you to be disappointed when it's not chaos 100% of the time. And Parker, who is definitely the instigator, has a little stage fright when some one new is around. For a kid who can be such a ham, he's awfully shy. I never thought the two personality traits could co-exist within one person. You can also expect me to be clean and well organized as my mom mentioned. It's nice to know I have her fooled. I only live like that when company is around.

I seriously do have so much fun with my kids. I love, love, love being a mom and the joy kids bring into my home. That's why I just can't stop having kids. I'm always ready to add a new entertainer to the bunch.

I thought I'd throw in a plug for Dan Zanes and Friends. This is the kids music of choice at the Smith home. So if you're looking for a little inspiration for your own chaos, I highly recommend this music. The video clip on the previous posting is from this DVD.



a note from dan zanes here we are, tuned up, dressed up, and ready to roll. lights, camera, voices ready! i hope that when the last note of the last tune fades away that you feel like making some music of your own. fill your head with songs and start a family band! gather together with neighbors and sing until long after dark! make your world a musical one! music brings us together so we can all laugh, cry, dance with wild abandon and when it’s over have a good night’s sleep.


For a change of pace...I made the decision yesterday after sitting through Ward Council and church, that aside from my weekly OB appointment, I wasn't leaving the house again until I am in labor. That commitment lasted until about 9:30 this morning. Reid broke about 3 toes off his prosthetic foot and I had to take it in. I suppose I can add that to my list of "One Foot Advantages." (see August 7th post) When Reid's toes fall off, it doesn't hurt. I imagine most kids would be in a lot of pain after losing a toe, not to mention 3. Any way, it's now fixed and I'll try, once again, to stay home.

1 comment:

Lauri said...

So that's why you didn't answer the phone this morning...I was hoping you were in labor. I will call you SOON to hear the details of this story.