Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Slim Slack

Blurry or not, you have to admit he's pretty cute.

As much as I love having a house full of boys, I have felt that I've really missed out on sewing for little girls. Nothing makes me want a little girl more than Katie Did's blog (you think maybe it helps that we share a name?). This dress (the second one with the wide stripes) being my absolute favorite (followed closely by these and these and these and these).

Sewing for little boys just isn't quite the same. I mean, there's Halloween costumes, but once a year? Come on! I made a few mildly successful attempts when Parker was an infant. I say mildly because, while they turned out fine, they were dorky. And the last thing I want is a dorky baby. I had sworn off sewing boys clothes by the time Parker was 5 months.

MADE deemed February "Celebrate the Boy" month. I found it completely inspiring. On Monday, I came out of retirement and made Grayden the "slim slack." I am really happy with how they turned out. And who can beat a pair of pants for 99 cents? They're made from a thrifted pair of men's slacks...eliminating the annoying things like zippers and waistbands. It was so easy. I whipped them out in one nap time.

gotta love the diaper ruffle

I was too excited about them...I had to post before I got to ironing.

...because Gray was having so much fun posing.

Love this kid!

I went back to the thrift store today so I could make some for Parker and Reid. New pants for Easter! I plan to make them all either a tie or bow tie as well. Fun huh?

POST EDIT: After I published, I realized that my wall color is exactly the color of my blog background. Hmmm. Maybe it's a phase.

18 comments:

Cynthia said...

Adorable! How smart is that?

Traci Elizabeth said...

first off, Gray is so stinkin cute. You need to post pics of him more. Seriously, adorable

Second..I have never seen that Katie Did site. I am totally going to sew that striped dress...I am in love

third...great job on the pants. I watch project runway (obsessively) and half of the designers seem to have problems making a good pair of pants. Great job.

Nicole said...

Great job on the pants! If you ever need a little girl to sew for, you are more than welcome to make something for Amanda. She can be your little model and I will send you pictures of her in the clothes... maybe it's time you start adding things to your Etsy store. :)

Ashley said...

Katie! these are stinkin cute!

Also, there's a girl here at the institute right now that laughs just like you. When I heard her laughing at the table next to me, I found myself wishing it was really you. Miss you girl!

jeanine said...

Great job! That Gray is so cute!

And I totally love that first dress. Wish I had a girl too...

Amanda B. said...

love it!!!! How cool is that?!?! They look really comfy and really nice!! Awesome job! And, Graydon makes such a great model too. :)

Melissa + Brett said...

Ditto to what Nicole said. You can sew for Kirra anytime!!!! Love the pants. I ENVY your talent. I've tried learning to sew numerous times, but am WAY to anal! I seriously can't handle that I cannot sew a straight line. Share the wealth of your sewing talent...PLEASE!

Danielle said...

If you really want to give sewing those dresses a try you should! Start selling them, I would totally buy one!

Eric said...

You have so much talent. Those pants are so great! And whipping them up in just a short nap time... seriously? I could never do that.

Kris said...

Oh I love how you think!!! Love the pants!!! And he has gotten so big and grown up! Not a baby anymore!!!

Becca said...

I LOVE them!!! You are so talented. I tell ya. I love the girl stuff too. If I have a girl I am totally going back to that blog and have someone help me make those cute dresses and clothes! I too have dusted off the sewing machine and am trying to get back into making something. I am wanting to learn how to follow patterns. Luckily I have a friend here that can show me how:) Too bad I don't have you though. You're boys are always so cute. Great job on the pants!

Unknown said...

I am totally impressed! Way to go, you are sooooooo smart

AshnRuss said...

I wish I could sew! You have inspired me to try! Maybe I should just try it! I can't believe how much Gray has changed! He was a little huskier the last time that I saw him and now he has totally thinned out. He is so handsome!

jax said...

What, exactly, is your wall color? I am trying to find a gray for our new house + yours looks great to me...

everyday katie said...

jax...

Silver Birch. It came from Home Depot. I'm pretty sure we found it in the Glidden color samples, but purchased it in the Behr Premium. It's just barely gray, but I love it.

Erin said...

Nice pants!! Hey feel free to sew stuff for Autumn and Kayla-I am so not creative in this area at all!!

Autumn said...

SO cute. One nap is so impressive. You've inspired me to sew something. I have thought about an Easter dress and with our guest room in shambles (living room and kitchen to be location appropriate), I've opted out. But I might opt in if I still can. What a great site. I should take advantage of the sewing for a girl more often. I've only done a few things and loved it then--so why don't I do it more?! Thanks for the sites.

This is Carrie said...

Your "Slim Slacks" turned out great!! Thanks for trying out my tutorial!