Per Amanda's request:
Top five favorite Christmas songs (right...like I could narrow this down to five):
1. Winter Weather- Squirrel Nut Zippers. This is the song I CRAVE listening to when the weather gets cold and Christmas is in the air. It is the first cd I want to pull out when the Christmas music comes out from a year of hiding.
2. God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman / We Three Kings - Bare Naked Ladies and Sarah McLachlan. There are actually quite a few songs on this album that I LOVE (and some that I really don't care for).
3. Still, Still, Still - Cambridge Singers. Though the Cambridge Singers are my fave, other artists can be just as moving when performing this song. The You Tube clips just aren't cutting it for me....you can hear a little clip of it here.
4. Sleigh Ride. Just about any version instrumental or vocal. Fun. Upbeat. Classic.
5. Santa Baby-Eartha Kitt. Don't hate me. It reminds me of my mom and a winter ski trip to Utah one year. It kinda became our Christmas theme song.
Honorable Mention: With Bells On - Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers. Confession... I love the whole album. We had it on vinyl as a kid and I can't help but love it.
My list may be a little nontraditional...but I love the classics too: Winter Wonderland, Let it Snow, Jingle Bells. And hymns: Angels We Have Heard on High, Silent Night, Joy to the World. And seriously MANY, MANY, MANY more. I've left some great ones off my list. I'm a lover of Christmas music.
As for the worst:
1. Oh Holy Night. I know, I know. You're in an uproar. I know it has potential to be a beautiful song. But it's so cliche. At least once a year I hear someone attempt this song who thinks they're good enough to pull it off and really can't. Most people have no business even trying to sing this one. You have to have an incredible range and amazing talent to sustain some of those notes. Singers butcher it all the time and they've ruined it for me.
2. Last Christmas. I gave you my heart but the very next day, you gave it away. This year, to save me from tears, I'll give it to some one Special. Enough said. (Ok...not enough. Jeanine, do you remember Cyrus singing this is geometry class? This song always reminds me of him...that is it's only redeeming quality.)
3. Christmas Shoes and EVERY OTHER MODERN COUNTRY CHRISTMAS SONG... Country singers can sing Christmas songs, that's fine. I just hate when country singers go though and tell a whole sappy story in song.
4. Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer. And anything similar.
5. Frosty the Snowman. Hate the song. Hate the movie even more.
Also, I hate Little Drummer Boy, Feliz Navidad, the First Noel (for no good reason) and pretty much anything sung (or barked) by a cartoon. Once again...many more.
Now that I've offended some of you by bashing your faves, what do you love? And what moves you to change the station? Post it on your blog...I'd really love to know.