Friday, December 18, 2009

The moon on the breast of the new fallen snow gave a luster of midday to objects below.

Picture from the 2004's major ice storm...and my most recent white Christmas.

What is it about a white Christmas? I don't even like the snow every other day of the year. I didn't grow up with white Christmas's in Southern California (excluding the year that Tim Hellerud toilet papered us on Christmas for this very reason.)

But seriously, nothing says Merry Christmas like a blanket of white covering your landscape. I've really only experienced a few. There was the year of the five day power outage. As beautiful as that ice storm was, that was not a pleasant Christmas memory.

I think back to my first married Christmas. The night before Spencer and I stayed up putting together a desk we had bought. Since the shoe box apartment we lived in didn't have enough space for the desk AND it's garbage, we had to carry out it's packaging to the dumpster in the wee hours of the morning. And what to our wondering eyes did appear? A fresh covering of snow that sparkled in the streetlights and brightened up the dark night.

It was breathtaking. Exciting. My first White Christmas. And at that moment...it was magical.

The magic disappeared a few hours later when we woke up at 4am because we couldn't stand the excitement any longer. What proceeded was a two hour fight about how to pass out and open Christmas presents. (Spencer is not a fighter at all...which makes this whole memory even more funny to me.)

The weather in Ohio is fickle. And we really don't get much snow before January. It's been years since I've had a white Christmas. And I'm pining for one. Good news is...it's still in the forecast.

8 comments:

Traci Elizabeth said...

i hope you get it! Send a little my way :)

jeanine said...

If you get some... send a little to the south :)

Kelly said...

i hope it stays in the forecast! and i'm still jealous!

Genn said...

I hope you get your white christmas! That would be fun. I've never had a white christmas before. And I'm sure I won't get one unless we go to the mountains for the holiday some year.

PS- A while back you asked me if I had any suggestions for your hair... I did not mean to ignore your Q, but I totally forgot about it! And to be honest, I think your hair is so so cute. Every time you post a pic of yourself and I just love to see your hair. I love it short on you, and I don't really know what I would change. (Sorry, I knwo that wasn't helpful)

Amanda B. said...

I agree- there is something magical about snow on christmas- it probably made it more magical that the first white christmas was your first married christmas. I still think that fight is hilarious!!! :) snow on Christmas is nice- the rest of the year- blah!

The Patterson's said...

You should move to Nebraska once it snows it is so cold that it stays until March. Utah mostly has white Christmas's too. I hope you get yours.

Kris said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you kiddo!!

Cynthia said...

Christmas snow is great because you don't really have to go outside and deal with it, just enjoy it from the window. It's only yucky if you have to shovel it or drive in it. Hope you get your snowy christmas morning.