Thursday, July 23, 2009

Pet Peeve

With the recent previews for tomorrows release of Orphan, it's brought to my remembrance one of my biggest pet peeves; children in creepy horror movies. I'd post images from the movie to show you what I mean, but I don't want to promote this movie with a terror inducing nine year old psychotic killer.

This pet peeve has very little to do with the fact that this kind of movie freaks me out, but more with the fact that I find it completely inappropriate to have a child star in a movie that I wouldn't let her watch. Does she go to the premier? I hope not. Even more, I hope the child is shielded enough from the movie so not to give her nightmares.

I hate that writers write horror movies with eerie psychotic children. I hate that directors choose to direct such movies. But most of all, I think it's completely irresponsible of parents to allow their children to act in movies like this.

Boycott Orphan!

13 comments:

Kelly said...

I completely agree with you. I cannot even watch this preview without covering my eyes. It scares me. And I can't imagine a child watching it or starring in it. Very creepy.

Kim said...

Here here! I feel the same way about kids in violent or sexually explicit scenes. Makes you wonder what the parent is thinking, or what their main priority is, the money or the child.

Sheryl said...

With you all the way...evil at it's worst!

Heidi said...

totally agree! Its way too creepy, and why, like you said, would someone let their child do something like that? what people will do for the big bucks!

Genn said...

Katie I so completely agree! And you bring up great point... I have already bocotted seeing this film for two reason. One, I do not like scary movies anyway. And two, children being the main psychotic killers really are the worst kind of scary movie!

But I never thought about who lets their child actor act in a film such as this! And does she go to the premier? Good point. Creepy movie. I will not see it.

Eric said...

I've never even heard of that movie. I totally agree and I'll boycott with you!

Kelly said...

I haven't heard of it either- I must be totally out of the loop- I for sure won't see it- but am intrigued now- going to look it up and see what all the bad buzz is about!

Autumn said...

I haven't heard of it, but I agree with your thoughts.

Traci Elizabeth said...

I always wonder what parents are thinking. I think its a dangerous position for anyone to portray a satanic character...but even more so for a child.

Amanda B. said...

Huh- interesting- I hadn't even thought about it this way but I totally agree with you!! I had no intention of seeing it anyway seeing as it is rated R and just looks down like creepy.

mj said...

man. that's so true. i hate hate hate scary movies. especially ones with creepy little kids. it makes something so pure and beautiful freaky and distorted.

jeanine said...

Oh my goodness. I totally could have written this post... word for word. I can't tell you how many times Rich and I have had this conversation!

amelia said...

I've always wondered if child horror movie stars need therapy when they grow up. Sure, it's a move and they were there, they know a lot of it is make-up/movie sets/etc., but that seems kind of damaging to be a terrifying creature at such a young age? And people wonder why most child stars never go anywhere with their career...