Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Reid is...

...no, I wasn't going to say sticky...though he's that, too.

Reid is three. (And you know what that means...I have another kid to hit three while still in diapers.)

And to celebrate the big day, both Parker and Spencer's school let out for the day. Ok, maybe it wasn't for Reid's birthday, but it was fun to have everyone home for a full packed day of partying.

An ice storm was heading into north Texas. It was predicted to be the worst north Texas had ever seen. I was bracing myself for the worst. (The ice storm that one Christmas in Ohio left us without power for five days.) All the schools shut down...including the University. And all day we waited for ice. NOTHIN'. I didn't spot the first icicle until later that evening. We woke up this morning to less than a quarter inch of ice on our driveway and it's already melted. And Parker's school was canceled again today and the university didn't open until noon. I like to watch the Today show while I get in my morning exercise and the local weather cut into the entire hour I watched. It just went back and forth between the weather girl and the traffic girl. "It's cold and icy"..."the roads are slick so drive slow"..."it's cold and icy"..."the roads are slick so drive slow"...on and on and on. They announced 650 school closings or delays in the area. All for less than a quarter inch of ice that lasted maybe 12 hours. Crazy huh? Even crazier that Friday was 84 and yesterday was 24. A 60 degree drop in 4 days.

On to the party...

Spencer had a meeting to be at on Tuesday and we were planning on celebrating another day, but the decision to cancel the meeting came Monday night and we stayed up getting the birthday all ready without telling the crazies. I was awake when I heard the older two trample down stairs at 6:15am. First Parker, "Ah...Reid! It's your birthday today!" Reid, "Ah! My Birthday. There's balloons, even!" And a chorus of squeals and yells and giggles ensued for about five minutes until they darted back upstairs wondering where the presents were. (I decided not to leave them out knowing full well they'd be opened without us.) It really was fun to surprise him. I totally recommend not telling your kids when their birthday is. It's worth the surprise.

I told the crazies that presents would not be opened until everyone was awake so Reid continued to hop around the room on one foot in an over-excited high pitched shriek, "I'm three and I'm hoping on one foot because I'm three." In the mean time, Parker talked me into letting them each open a present. (We always get a little something to appease the jealous brother.) They played pretty hard with their punching bags for a bit until Parker couldn't stand the anticipation any longer and he took it upon himself to wake Gray. Parker gets so excited about ANYBODY's birthday. It's cute.



I love how interested all three crazies are in this box of sidewalk chalk.
And thanks for all the present suggestions...almost all of the suggestions were things we already have...and use frequently so you did good. But we didn't have Legos. How is it that I've been raising boys for nearly five years now and we have no Legos? We are seriously lacking in the building toys department. Duplos were a HIT. For all four boys.

And since we were all home...we made a trip (on the non-icy roads) to the library for a while. I really love the library here. It has the BEST kids area. I wish I brought my camera. I always feel a little disruptive with a camera in the library so I opted not to. But Reid was singin' his heart out in the car on the way there and I am really sorry I can't share that with you all. I love how loud and off tune he sings when he gets really into it.

All Reid wanted to do for his birthday was go to McDonalds...though we offered many exciting options.




And for two years running, he insisted on a train cake. Last year I made the cake into a train. This year I took the easier route and it turned out much cuter.


We rented Wall-E and finished off the night with a Smith Family Pajama Party...but the pictures weren't really worth sharing.

Reid thinks he's a whole different kid now that he's three. He thought turning three would magically make him potty trained and stop sucking his thumb and grow him a new foot and give him so many of the privileges that Parker has that come with being older. Honestly...we were building up turning three I guess. We said he was getting so old, so big. I guess he thought it meant he was going to be just like Parker. A little cute. A little sad.

I love celebrating my kids birthday's. It's always a fun reminder of how much I love them and how grateful I am that they are a part of my life.

20 comments:

Heidi said...

You have some ADORABLE boys. I love that pic in McDonalds. They really do love each other. And what a mom you are to get presents for everyone.

Unknown said...

Reid is dang cute is what he is!! Happy Birthday to your big boy! RJ is already talking about turning 3 and his birthday is not until May 30th!! I guess it is just the first year they understand they are having a b-day! And, I am with you about this weather..it was pretty funny actually, but a nice few days off for us all!! And, FYI, Going Bonkers is super fun, the boys would love it...maybe we should head down some morning when all of the bigger kids are not around...I think Wed. is half price or something..I will let you know!!

Cynthia said...

Happy Birthday Reid!!!
Hey Katie, I think the older the child is for potty training, the faster the process is. They just "get it" one day. So good luck with that.
Sounds like a fun birthday. I can feel your boys' anticipation and excitement in your writing.

jeanine said...

The cake is super cute! Way to go! I may use that for James' birthday. You guys are so fun for birthdays... seriously. And I'm glad that the duplos were a hit... my boys LOVE them (including Rich).

Kris said...

Happy Birthday Reid....you darling little "Crazy" you!!!
You make birthdays so fun Katie, that they will remember them always. My Mom was the same way! Love it!!!

Unknown said...

Happy Happy Birthday Reid! It looks like you guys had a great day, my boys loved Duplo Lego's, we still break them out once in awhile. Your boys are growing up so fast, enjoy them.

Genn said...

Happy 3 Reid!! Katie you do make birthdays so fun. I want to celebrate my next birthday at your house.

That is the cutest picture of all 3crazies looking at the sidewalk chalk. I can't believe you didn't have legos in your household yet either. Glad those were a hit. Hannah loves them. She builds "towers" all the time.

What a fun birthday celebration Reid got to have.

Lauri said...

Sounds like the day just kept getting better after I talked to you (and Reid) in the morning). Your family is growing up!

Kelly said...

No way! No way!! I can't believe it! He is that big already?! I love how big he has gotten, and such a singer!! He and Celeste should do a duet- she is hilarious to listen to, too! I LOVE the cake- I need to do a car cake for Alex in March- that is a good idea- I will see what he thinks if we can adapt that into a car theme. Love all the pics, and that McDonalds was his choice!! Tell that big boy Happy Birthday!! We love him!

Nicole said...

Happy Birthday Reid!!

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday Reid! I love your cake... so creative!

Eric said...

How fun! I love how excited they were and their cute conversations. Love all their hair too. Seriously, you guys know how to celebrate.

Happy Birthday to Reid!

AKA Rosa said...

Happy Birthday Reid!!! Three . . . that is exciting. You may not know this bur Reid and I are buddies. We sing together every Sunday in Nursery! He loves loves loves the songs and lights up as if we are truly doing something magical!! He is AWESOME. Your cake is so cute. I love it!! Looks yummy too. I am glad you had your first BIG STORM here in Texas. It truly is the funniest thing. We missed a total of 2 days for weather in all of the years I lived in Utah ( I think it was 13 years of school). We have that about every year here. I will never forget when the whole town closed for a "Skiff of Snow". Make me laugh.

Abbey said...

Happy Birthday Reid. Dont you just love having little ones the littlest things make them happy. Way to go on the Legos. They are a great toy. YOur boys are darling. Sorry, I didnt send a card everything has been crazy here.

Amanda B. said...

Happy Birthday, Reid!!! I can't believe he is 3. What a big guy! Yah, I also can't believe you have been a mom of boys for 4 years and you didn't have any duplos or legos..Aaron made sure we had them before we even had kids!! (Bet you could never guess who played with them.... Aaron is my 5th child! :)) That is funny about the ice storm. I guess when you don't get much snow, everyone panics. We did just have a big storm here. A few inches of snow, then about 1/2 in. ice, then a few more inches of snow. We are on snow day #2. But, they will probably have school tomorrow.

Traci Elizabeth said...

YAY! your three are so cute. Happy birthday to Reid, He is seriously adorable.

The cake is a GREAT idea...good job.

Autumn said...

happy birthday to Reid!! What a fun bday. I love the green ooze on the cake. LOVE it. He looks so good in his Hurley shirt. I think the kicking thing is such a great present. Funny about the weather spazzing!

Brooke said...

I love the suprise birthday that sounds like a great idea! Your boys are adorable!
The first year we were in texas there was a huge ice storm! I was watching the morning news and they kept saying things like 'Don't leave the house today. You will get in an accident.' They scared me so bad that I made Dustin drive me to work, only to find out that it was nothing I couldn't handle. It still makes me laugh how everything closes down, but we are all saver from the drivers for it.

Erin said...

Love the cake and the surprise factor of the day! What a fun way to turn 3!!

Natalie said...

Your are an awesome MOM Katie. I am so glad you blog so well. I was having a little bit of a bummer day but reading your blog perked me right up! You are amazing!