Friday, July 25, 2008

Bachelor Number One...Come On Down

Web designer by day...cowboy by night. Something happened to my city boy brother when he served his mission in the small towns of upstate New York. He came out of that place a goat-ropin', country music listenin', horse lovin', cowboy. (Sort-of.)

I was busy with the move and traveling during Mike's birthday. So as promised, I am making it up to him with today's flashback. Prepare to be embarrassed Mike.

My tribute to Mike...Bachelor style.

Mike is a 28 year old man seeking a woman. (Preferably one who can keep up with all this that is Mike.)

Mike is an outdoors man who enjoys camping...



...fishing...


...climbing trees...


...and of course, long walks on the beach.


Yet he still knows how to clean up to enjoy a night out on the town.

(Don't ask me about my outfit...you can blame my mom for that lovely look. Mike, however, looks very dapper.)

Mike's playful side...


...brings out not only the animal lover in him...

(that's a toy puppy on his shoulder)

...but also makes him great with kids. Especially his three adorable nephews.


Mike has always been a sports fan...with a particular love for Hockey and football...


and likes to root for the Cougars.


(Don't let my smile fool you. I was happy about the parade, NOT the BYU shirt. I'm anti-BYU and would dispose of this picture if Mike didn't look so stinkin' cute.)

Mike is a concert goer. He loves music of many genres and has always been a bit of a musician himself...



He has been quite the traveler. We have been all over the US together and have pictures in front of the capital building, not once...


...but twice.


We even traveled to Arizona on our own when we were 16 and 17.


(Actually Mike, this is one of my favorite memories. I had so much fun singing and snacking and sharing thoughts and secrets on that road trip. Very fun.)

Mike is a world class dancer...

(learning a native dance in Hawaii)


(after Hawaii on the way to a youth dance)

Mike has always been up for anything adventurous...from snow skiing to whatever ride this was at the Space Needle in Seattle.


And on top of all this, he has always managed to be an amazing brother. He is very generous. We have shared so many memories. I LOVED having a brother so close in age to share things with ...from friends, to a car, to secrets, to clothes (ok, I went through a phase were it was really cool to wear my brothers big t-shirts). I have great memories of sitting up after a youth dance eating Oreo's and watching SNL while the high from the dance wore off and I'd eventually fall asleep on the couch. It is because of Mike that I wanted my first child to be a boy so badly. I wanted to make sure the rest of my kids had the opportunity to have a big brother.

I had the unique opportunity to have Mike stand as a witness at my wedding. I'm always grateful he was able to be there and do that for me.


And ladies,
he is available.



17 comments:

Traci Elizabeth said...

How adorable was that??? Mike is a great catch and will make some lucky lady very happy.

Genn said...

Awww, that was such a sweet tribute to your older brother. That is neat that you've always been so close. I didn't realize you guys were so close in age. I think when we were younger all of my friends with older brothers seemed to be much older brothers back then. Like Troy Enlow, it seems funny now that he is actually a year younger than my husband but back when I was 12 and he was Kelly's "older" brother, he seemed so much older than us. It's weird how all that changes when you get older too.

Lauri said...

Aw! How cute.

Erin said...

Man I wish I had had an older brother. Instead I had 2 wacko sisters!

Where does the man live anyway-I got an avaiable girlfriend!!

Amanda B. said...

Happy Birthday, Mike!!! Too bad I'm married! (just kidding!!! :):))

Autumn said...

Oh my gosh. I have been a slacker blog reader lately. I keep telling myself I'm going to go back and read the past 2 entries before reading this one but I have a thing for old pictures and I broke my own rule.

Too bad my 28 year old sister is getting married on Friday. He sounds great. And my other single sister...is 21. I love the tribute. Such great pix. The last pic of him as a kiddo looks so much like you (or at least your kid pix.)

Unknown said...

If only I knew a single girl or I was single myself!! Great post!!!

Kelly said...

That was so fun!! I feel like I know him!! He is quite handsome and will make a great husband, no doubt- let me think if I know any single ladies...

Jessica said...

Sold! Oh just kidding I am already happily married. But after that add I am sure the girls will be lining up. Way to embarrass your brother. I love it.

jeanine said...

Katie... it's good to see that at one point in your life you supported BYU ;) I have so many great memories of Michael! I always wanted an older brother... This was a great post!

Jeffrey Benson said...

I know this post was about Michael, but dang I was a cute kid...I guess some things never change. No that was cool, I almost teared up a bit.

Unknown said...

Ho-ley-smokes! You sure know how to embarrass a guy. And so does everyone who posted a comment! Thanks, sis.

Sheryl said...

So very cute!! I have always been a fan of each of you Benson kids! You have your style and there is nothing not to love about you! Here's to Michael!

Violet said...

That was so fun to read! It made me miss the good old days when I had a major crush on your brother. (I can say that now because I am married ;0)

I also loved the part about the youth dances. I use to come home from them with my big brother and stay up watching SNL eating ice cream. My big brother is the reason why I wanted a boy first too. I am so lucky I got my wish. There is nothing like an older brother!

Heidi said...

How nice are you? what a sweet sister!

Unknown said...

I love brothers! I have 7 of the best of 'em! Mike is great. He was always so happy and fun and nice. Hey, I do have a friend, BTW. Did you ever know Susan Bergreen?? She is still looking for a man and your bro might just be her type... She is on my myspace page under my friend's list.(which I never use)Have him look her up and contact her if he wants...oh shoot...she lives in Cali... He might have to go for a visit. Or maybe I'll have Susan come visit up here.

Kelly said...

That is the best big brother tribute ever! I love that you guys are so close. And all the memories and pictures you have...awesome! And that is so funny how he is a 'country' guy now! I love it!