Friday, April 25, 2008

We Were Merely Freshmen

I had a visit from an old friend a couple weeks ago. An old friend? Here in Texas? That's right. I have a good friend from college who lives less than an hour away. Just another perk of living in D-Town, I guess. This is Brooke. We used to think she looked like Meg Ryan, but the more I got to know her, the harder it was for me to see it. She was one of my roommates. Actually, I don't think I ever lived with Brooke, but I still consider her one of the "roommates."

There were seven of us girls. Me, Tammy, Heidi, Brooke, Jenni, Carrie, and Stutz. (Actually, her name was Carrie Stutzneggar, but we called her Stutz...have you ever known a group of girls to call one of them by their last name? Funny huh? Even now...though her last name has changed, I still call her Stutz.) We were all just lucky enough to be placed together our freshman year of college. A few girls already knew each other from high school, but as a group we were strangers. We started freshman year out in Merrill Hall and when freshman year was over and we were more than ready to get out of on-campus housing, we decided not to break up the group and we all moved together...three of us in one apartment, four in the other. Over the years we slowly dwindled down to one apartment as we got married or pursued happiness in far off lands. I was the second to last to go...Carrie out lived me by five months, I think.

I have never had a group of girl friends so close knit. Especially a group containing seven girls. We didn't fight. We still keep in touch. We are all over the U.S. these days. Some of us have enjoyed Thanksgivings together. Others meet yearly in Utah at Christmas time. Four of us don't have any sisters...which I think really helped our closeness. This was my first experience living with girls...sharing secrets, clothes and boys. I need the friendship of these girls. They are my sisters.

As I was enjoying the company of Brooke and her family that Saturday night, I was thinking how different we all are now. It is so strange that our lives, that were once so similar, are now no longer dependent on each other. I'm so glad our lives all crossed paths for those few short years during college. I learned so much from these girls and love them all so dearly.

I have about a bazillion pictures of us. But for this Flashback Friday, I'll just include those from Freshman year...when we first met. That was almost nine years ago. Can you believe it? We should plan a ten year reunion. I don't have a single picture of the seven of us together freshman year. Since I have so many other pictures from freshman year that will no doubt show up in another Flashback Friday, I am only including pictures that have no one else but us girls in them. So here's to never being college freshman again, but loving the memories.

Tammy was the one I actually shared a room with. We were seriously inseparable. We dated brothers or best friends quite often. We worked together for a while. We were even both music majors. I, however changed my major a year or so into it, but Tammy went on to sing at The New York Metropolitan Opera, Carnegie Hall, and you can currently find her in in an opera in England...just to name a few. I'm proud to say I sang a duet with her to win the Miss Merrill Hall talent show (displayed in the first picture).


Heidi
eventually became my room-roommate. It's funny, I don't have any pictures of just her and I together freshman year. We weren't as close then. But now, she is my very best girl-friend. Check out how cute she is.



This is Tammy and Heidi together. They knew each other before college.


This is Carrie. She is the only other girl, besides me, that came up not knowing anyone. She is the one that hung on the longest with me...and also became my room-room mate. We have shared many laughs and tender moments. I still highly value her opinions and advice.




The next three knew each other in high school, too.

This is Stutz. She had a boyfriend back at home and rarely spent a weekend with us. I guess it paid off...she's now married to him. She had the most awesome job as a "custodial engineer" at the junior high and frequently came home with half rolls of toilet paper.




When I went away to Utah for school, I didn't know a soul there. Brooke was the first one to make me feel included. I remember sitting at a ward FHE activity up the canyon...and feeling a little out of the conversation...she turned and chatted with me for the remainder of the night. I don't think I ever told her how much I appreciated that. Thanks Brooke.



I think this first picture is when Jenni and I shared a box of hair dye. Jenni was such a romantic. I loved listening to her talk about her ideals. She would read to us from the "rules" book. She went home the summer after freshman year and came back up in love. She married Eric a few months later.




Christmas Gift Exchange


Chocolate Chip Pancakes.


Spring Break Road Trip


Probably a romantic movie or something.


Temple Square


A Sunday Night In The Canyon


My First Snowfall

These girls really made my college experience.

12 comments:

Kelly said...

Those are great pictures, and you do have a ton! I don't even know where to look at my house for old pictures, yours are amazing! I love the Flashback Fridays, it's a side of you I don't know, and I love it!! Thanks!

jeanine said...

How fun! I feel the same way about many of my roommates. There's something about living with other girls that just strengthens that bond. I love it!

Jeffrey Benson said...

I totally remember a lot of these girls invading our house... I think I may have even had a pre-pubescent crush on Carrie.

Unknown said...

Freshman year of college is the best year!! I wish I had more pictures of that year. So many fun memories :)

Shalece said...

That is so neat! I've always been a tad jealous of people with such great girl friends in college. I missed out on that, being married so young! Although Craig & I have our adventure of our own :)

Amanda B. said...

Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to "go away" to school- I stayed local. This is one of those times I wonder. What an amazing adventure! Love all the pictures!

Lauri said...

That was a fun group of girls. I had so much fun too when I'd come up and visit you and stay either in the dorm or your apartment with all of you. And I loved when you brought them home to Corona for spring break that year. What fun memories. I think they were a godsend to you your freshmen year with all that was going on in your life.

Traci Elizabeth said...

Tammi is the only one I really remember, and I probably only remember her because I had the privelage of hearing her sing!! Cute pics!

Moms Are Contagious said...

How FUN! I have a freshman roommate who I still keep in close contact with today, Guin. We have some great memories.
About the 10 year reunion-that is a great idea. My roommates and I hope to have one in 2 years...I will be the only one not living out west...crazy!

Traci Elizabeth said...

I just read Parkers sayings. He is hilarious. My niece recently asked her mom why her brother had a tail on his butt. I guess when you are little thats the only thing you could compare it too!

Heidi said...

How fun for you... I never did get to experience the college life away from home.

Looks like you had a blast in college! Im a little jealous!

Jenn said...

How Fun to have such great college roomies.. I never did experience that and that was alright with me- I had a good time here meeting new people.